A peer-to-peer UDP based instant messaging implementation.
On Debian and Ubuntu systems you should install the packages
make before you attempt to build the program.
UDP Talk is witten in Ada. You can learn about Ada in the
- 2007-05-09 version, tar.bz2 format
- 2007-05-09 version, tar.gz format
- 2007-05-09 version, zip format
- 2007-05-08 version, tar.bz2 format
- 2007-05-08 version, tar.gz format
- 2007-05-08 version, zip format
Download and unpack your preferred version. Enter the created directory.
sudo make install
/usr/local/bin/. If you want to install it elsewhere, please modify the line
If you have agreed to chat with somebody on port 2000, who is sitting on the machine “some.remote.host”, you run the program like this:
udp_talk 2000 some.remote.host 2000
What you write shows up as normal text, and what your peer writes shows up as inverted text.
Remember that since the program is using UDP, there is no guarantee that every letter reaches its destination. You should also be aware that this program doesn’t use any encryption, and that it is specifically designed to allow others to intercept a discussion. Do not use it for secrets!
- Implement a feature so both parties can work from behind NAT.